Lumba Lumba was a vertical exploration well drilled in the Sulu Sea, Philippines. The target was adjacent to a gas chimney in 1100m of water in an under-explored basin. Drilling targets existed from 1000 – 2300 m below the mud line with mild overpressure. Nautec provided a drilling project team that was regionally experienced, including rig and shore-based personnel.
Nautec was contracted to provide Drilling Project Management Services for the design, planning and operational phases of Tap Oil’s deewater 1+1 well programme, offshore Philippines.
Tap Oil had a number of challenges including;
- a tight rig market that required taking a mid-water moored semisubmersible into 1100m water depth and the associated modifications and support equipment required;
- timing, and cost constraints of rig, equipment and personnel
- frontier drilling location with minimal offset drilling information, and that was isolated from regional support with inherent logistical difficulties.
Nautec successfully completed the project under budget
Nautec managed these challenges through the implementation of an innovative campaign plan including:
- multiple well designs to cover 5 potential drilling locations
- concurrent equipment selection and procurement and well design
- focus on drilling optimization through procedures, personnel and equipment
- innovative logistical solutions
The Value Added
No LTI’s of reportable environmental incidents
Campaign delivered under AFE budget