From July 2015 to June 2016 Nautec was involved in the completion operations planning, equipment inspection and preparation and on-site supervision for multilateral horizontal oil production wells in the Wandoo field offshore Western Australia.
The Wandoo field is located in the Carnarvon Basin offshore Western Australia and has been developed with two production platforms. The field is 100% owned and operated by Vermilion Oil & Gas Australia Pty Ltd (VOGA).
Vermilion carried out the planned 2015/2016 Wandoo Infill Project, which involved the re-entry, multi-lateral side-track drilling and re-completion of three existing wells. Nautec was involved in:
- Witnessing and inspection of equipment preparations.
- Input in planning, coordination, operational procedures, risk assessment, lessons learned and managing service providers.
- Providing on-site supervision during the well workover and completion operations.
The complexity of these wells with drilling and completing the extreme extended reach wellbores, multilateral junctions, intelligent well completions, pre-existing well integrity conditions and SIMOPS, which in conjunction with the nature of the regulatory environment, the tight rig schedule and the downturn in global oil price provided many project execution challenges for Vermilion to overcome. Nautec was able to contribute in:
- The equipment preparations and inspection were rigorously conducted to assure the reliability and functionality of the equipment.
- The pre-job planning and coordination were managed efficiently to meet the project’s technical and commercial objectives.
- The on-site supervision of running the completions were carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- The initial well performance of all wells met or exceeded pre-drill expectations.