Nautec has completed the structural repair of a breasting dolphin pile for a major Saudi Arabian asset owner in the Ju’aymah Field. Upon general visual inspection of the breasting dolphin, which was performed by a team of divers, it appeared the South leg pile of the structure had suffered damage resulting in the top and bottom half sections of the pile ending up misaligned.
- Analysis and Design of the structural repair of the pile.
- Deliverables: Analysis and Design report, Strengthening methodology for pile.
- Inspection of clamp fabrication.
- All designs were fully verified by DNV Singapore.
- Provision of grouting spread, grout material and accessories to perform the structural repair of the pile by grouting with NaX™ ultra-high strength grout.
- Provision of Lead Engineer and crew to perform the grouting work.
- Provision of supervisors to oversee the local clamp fabrication.
- Entire terminal including the breasting dolphin is extremely busy and of critical importance to the client.
- Extreme loads had to be factored into the high strength grouted clamp solution resulting from the mega tankers berthing against the structure.
- Detailed inspection support and data review to capture important information about the pile and the damage it had sustained.
- Analysis and design of the structural repair of the pile; analysis and design reporting; and strengthening methodology for the pile.
- Managing interface with DNV to verify the clamp design and engineering analysis.
- Removal of marine growth from pile surface using ultra high pressure water jet.
- Mobilisation of equipment and supply of specialist grouting material to offshore worksite.
- Installation and sealing of clamp with divers’ assistance.
- Structural repair of the pile by grouting pile and clamp with NaX™ ultra-high strength grout. Nautec used its own small-footprint grouting spread and proprietary grout materials and accessories to carry out the services as well as its in-house engineering team and highly experienced crew.
- The repair works were carried out using NaX™ Q140, which is a rapid strength development grout with high elastic modulus. About 40% of the design compressive strength and 75% of elastic modulus of the grout can be achieved within 24 hours. NaX™ Q140 offers shorter installation time and earlier demobilisation saving offshore installation cost in return. Moreover, NaX™ Q140 offers outstanding fatigue strength compared to conventional grout.
- The unique ultra-high strength of NaX™ Q140 endures up to 40,000 times more stress cycles than a conventional grout for the same stress range. NaX™ Q140 is partially shrinkage compensated and has no shrinkage in a sealed condition. Due to its dense and stable microstructure, NaX™ Q140 is highly impermeable to water.